Friday, October 2, 2009

Strawberry Bread Pudding

I experimented with some leftover challah bread and half a container of fresh strawberries. First I found Pioneer Woman's recipe for bread pudding. Then I saw Paula Deen's recipe. Well, really, how can you go wrong with all that butter and sugar? But neither recipe gave me a reason to use up those strawberries. So, here is what I made.

5 cups challah cubes, allowed to dry overnight in a bowl
5 lightly beaten eggs, combined with 2 cups sugar, 2 cups soy milk, and
2 teaspoons vanilla.
Pour this mixture over the bread.

Enter strawberries! I washed, hulled and sliced 2-3 cups of strawberries, and mixed them with 1 cup packed brown sugar and 1 stick softened butter, cut into small cubes. Then just spooned it over the bread mixture. I baked this in a well-buttered 9x13 pan for 43 minutes at 350 degrees.


Paula Deen's sauce recipe included brandy. Pioneer Woman's had Jack Daniels. I had neither. So here is how the sauce went down.
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup butter
1 /2 cup sugar
1/4 cup rum
Heated on low heat until boiling. Served over the cooled bread pudding,
with love.

No comments: