Thursday, October 8, 2009

Good Gifts

Today was a "good gift" day. It began and ended in the same building, which is quite unusual, actually. Early this morning I set out with my travel coffee mug, my music teacher notebook, the latest edition of Southern Living, and a list. The teacher meeting began with a very quick business review and proceeded quickly to the program, which was inspiring, informative, and timely. A lovely lady who is "homegrown" from the cotton fields in the county just to our north, told us stories of her rise to author and pilot. Her mother, educated in a prestigious Texas music school, married a cotton farmer and raised her family through drought and poverty, providing them with music through the years. She taught us that because we live in the United States, can read and write, and can play music that we are rich! That is a gift.

Following my list I stopped by the orchestra office to fetch new music, as instructed, except that the manager dropped it in the mail without telling me. A great gift is that it arrived in today's mail, and I only went 4 blocks out of my way. I rushed on to the salon and gave myself a gift: a fabulous pedicure with the best nail technician person in the whole world. Mmmm... warm, bubbly water, smooth and fragrant hot wax, warm and creamy lotion rubbed into my legs and feet, and two coats of Nice Color, Eh? by OPI.

Next on the list was a stop at Drug Emporium. They sell Paul Newman's natural dog treats. Scooter loves them. After that a quick trip to Taco Bueno for a black bean burrito on the way to K's house for weekly prayer. We sang, we groaned, we prayed, we laughed, we declared the goodness of God and His protection over K as she stands against colon cancer and the effects of chemo therapy. Definitely a gift!




I drove home to treat Scooter to Newman's chicken bits, begin some laundry, change clothes and pack my violin, music stand, and duet books. One hour later I drove to the health club and ordered a smoothie as I walked in for consumption as I walked out an hour later. This was a new launch, dedicated to those who fight, or fought, breast cancer. Instructors dressed in black with the pink ribbon logo, and led us in a very challenging and athletic choreography of poses and moves--a gift to move my body and remember those I loved.

Immediately after class I sipped my smoothie as I drove due south in the rain to the same building where I met with the teachers this morning. ArtWalk, our city's monthly celebration of the arts downtown, was tonight, and my studio was invited to perform on stage as educators provided a family resources fair. My students, especially the boys, will always play for cookies!
We played Bach, Handel, Mozart, folk songs, and the always popular Twinkle Variations. It was our gift of music.

Twinkles.

Perpetual Motion

Cheesin' for the camera

Lookin' good! Very professional.

Every good and perfect gift is from above and comes down from the Father of heavenly lights, who does not change with shifting shadows. James 1:17

No comments: