Monday, October 11, 2010

Draw me Nearer

"Mother, if I had a choice, I would still choose to remain blind ... for when I die; the first face I will ever see will be the face of my blessed Saviour."

Thursday morning I performed, or rather I participated in a program of hymns written by Fanny Crosby. Oh they are sweet!  They melodies were all written by others but her words are rich and eternal:
Redeemed, How I love to proclaim it, redeemed by the blood of the lamb!
Rescue the perishing, care for the dying, Jesus is merciful. Jesus will save.
Jesus is tenderly calling me home, calling today, calling today.
Draw me nearer, nearer Precious Lord to the cross where thou hast died. Draw me nearer, nearer, nearer Precious Lord, to thy precious bleeding side.

It was a lovely morning for a program--almost no wind and about 72 degrees without a single cloud in the sky. The caretakers of the building forgot to open it, so our Harmony Club members visited in the parking lot while waiting for someone with a key. The time for the meeting to begin was 9:45 and we arrived upstairs at 9:43.  I began the program and between music selections we had readings about Fanny's life as a blind poet and hymnodist.  She performed one of her hymns at President Taft's funeral and spent her life speaking at missions and collaborating with song writers.  Among our club members we have some very gifted pianists and they also contributed, playing beautiful arrangements of Near the Cross and To God be the Glory.  The morning was visited by the Holy Spirit, who touched our hearts with memories of loved ones and countless members of our club who are with Fanny and Jesus in heaven.  I do trust that they were all having a group hug as we sang and played her beautiful songs for one another.  I know that I felt drawn nearer to the Lord all day as the words to those sweet songs lingered in my mind and heart.  
Frances Jane Crosby
BORN: March 24, 1820
South East, New York
 
DIED: February 12, 1915
Bridgeport, Conn.
LIFE SPAN: 94 years, 10 months, 19 days

No comments: